Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Back on the Grid - 6/7

We’re in Tofino a day early.  Getting to town and leaving the following morning can be a bit of a rush with all there is to do.  It’s been a day of chores even so and we haven’t started reprovisioning yet.  Kevin and Vi got all the laundry done.  Two weeks laundry for three people and a boat makes for quite a pile and takes a pocket full of loonies.

I had to make a run to the Marine Supply store to buy a power adapter.  My shore power cable isn’t long enough for this marina.  An extension is over $200 (in this town) so I had the bright idea of adding my tool power cord with adapters at each end.  I’ve never given it much thought, but my shore power cable must be 240v, because it has four wires where the tool cord has only three.  Whatever the case, we can charge our electronics with this setup, but not the boat.  That’s OK, the boat is already pretty well charged.

The down side of spending another night tied to the dock (actually tied to a boat tied to a dock) is the constant stream of commercial boats coming and going.  They’re passing by about fifty away from us with nothing to dampen their wake.  We’re getting tossed and our fenders are taking a beating.  I guess we’ll survive.  At least we’re not having to dinghy back and forth into town.

I can’t imagine living aboard in this marina.  But people do.  The folks we're tied up to have been here for a couple weeks.  That’d be about thirteen days too long for me.  A beautiful wooden boat on our dock with a couple of long legged deck ornaments doing some sun bathing this afternoon has been here for three years.  I wonder why.

Two sea otters climbed onto the dock next to the boat this afternoon.  I’ve never seen that before.  They must be used to handouts.  I had to walk around them and I was a little nervous about it, wildlife being as unpredictable as it is.  We stared each other down, each taking stock of the other, wondering who would blink first.  Thankfully I have better mobility on a dock than a sea otter does, so they did and slipped back into the water.  I could have taken them.

Thomas will be joining us tomorrow.  Quijote Crew goes to four!

1 comment:

  1. Great post and I would have been nervous around the otters too!

    ReplyDelete