Thursday, June 1, 2017

A day of Treats - 5/28

It was a short day today and we got a late start waiting for the fog to lift.  Kevin whipped up a batch of French toast using the bread that Vi cooked last night.  Both were awesome.

Before leaving I noticed that the depth meter was showing 5.0 feet, curious considering that the chart indicated a least depth of around twelve and that the boat draws about 6.3 feet.  I guess the depth meter has a little offset.  I was pretty sure that I set it up to indicate depth from the waterline and not depth under the keel.  The latter is handy when you have several boats and don’t want to have to remember how deep the keel is on each boat.  This is the only boat I own though, so I like it to show me depth of the water rather than depth under the keel.  The charts show minimum depth, so it’s nice to have consistent numbers. Apparently it is doing neither very accurately at shallow depths.  I have a hand held depth transponder used for reconnaissance in the dingy, but I didn’t think to use it to obtain a second opinion.  Next time we’re in shallow water I’ll do that.

Our route today took us inside reefs, rocks and small islands.  They afforded us some protection from the swell and with a light wind offering little chop, we enjoyed a smooth ride that only lasted a couple hours.  The clouds were hanging low when we first arrived, but after taking a spin to shore in the dinghy, playing some Frisbee, and hiking a round for a while, the marine layer burned off and we were treated to sunshine.  Vi also treated us to fried cakes made of potatoes and peas. A day of treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment