Thursday, June 1, 2017

Awesome Cranberry Muffins - 5/26

It was a short mileage day today, ten miles or so to get out of the Klaskino Inlet and into the Klaskish Basin via a steep, narrow channel with plenty of depth.  The book talks about anchoring between mooring buoys if they’re all taken.  We see no buoys and no boats, just a large bay with good shelter from the winds out on the ocean and bald eagles chirping from the tree tops.  It’s a very pristine anchorage. They all are out here.

Arriving early gave me some time to take a shot at a few maintenance items on my list.  Kevin helped me look into a solution to a problem with the radar.  It thinks it’s working, but nothing is displayed on the plotter.  Since it was working the week before we left, I was hoping for an easy fix.  Kevin gave me a belay while I climbed up the mast and pulled the cover of the radar unit.  Then he turned it on briefly so I could see if it was rotating properly.  I hid behind the mast to keep from being irradiated by it.  It was rotating ok, but there is no way to tell if it’s not transmitting or not receiving.  I’ll have to look into having it tested when I get back. Thank goodness we have AIS.  It’ll allow us to avoid the worst (big and fast) of the commercial traffic if the fog rolls in.  And it will allow them to see us.

While Kevin and I were making no progress with the radar, Vi made cranberry muffins.  They are awesome!  At least one of us got something done.

OK, I did top off the battery levels.  Quijote has a starting battery and a 400amp hour house battery and they all need a little water now and then.  We typically use around 20 amp-hours a day and recharge while motoring, which has been most of the time on this trip.

Tomorrow we go around the Brooks Peninsula.

No comments:

Post a Comment